Field Hockey

SU’s Eefke van den Nieuwenhof, Charlotte de Vries, Pieke van de Pas named to All-ACC 1st Team

Lars Jendruschewitz | Asst. Photo Editor

Syracuse's top three goal-scorers — Eefke van den Nieuwenhof (pictured), Charlotte de Vries and Pieke van de Pass — all made the All-ACC First Team. Van den Nieuwenhof was also named the ACC Defensive Player of the Year.

Syracuse field hockey’s Eefke van den Nieuwenhof, Charlotte de Vries and Pieke van de Pas were all named to the All-Atlantic Coast Conference First Team, the conference announced Monday. SU and Duke each had the most first-team honorees with three each. Van den Nieuwenhof was also named the ACC Defensive Player of the Year.

Van den Nieuwenhof, de Vries and van de Pas are the Orange’s top three goal scorers. The trio combined for 31 of SU’s 53 goals, a total that single-handedly exceeds the 30 goals the Orange have allowed in 2023.

Van den Nieuwenhof joins Alyssa Manley (2015) as the only two Syracuse players to win ACC Defensive Player of the Year. Van den Nieuwenhof ranks second in the conference with 13 goals and leads the Orange with 30 points. Her six penalty stroke goals lead the country.

Van den Nieuwenhof has now been named to the all-conference team all four seasons she’s played, joining de Vries, Roos Weers (2015-2018) and Tracy Larkin (1996-1999) as the only players with four all-conference selections. This marks the third time van den Nieuwenhof was named to the first team.

De Vries returned for her graduate season, and became the second leading goal scorer in Syracuse history, bringing her career tally to 48 goals after eight this season. De Vries is now the only player in program history to be named to an all-conference list five times. This was de Vries’ third time on the All-ACC First-Team list.

This season was van de Pas’ first at Syracuse after joining the team from the Netherlands for her graduate season. The midfielder made an instant impact, highlighted by her three-goal performance in her second game on Aug. 27, in a 9-1 win over Vermont. Van de Pas led the Orange with seven assists, recording two multi-assist games.